College Access Counselor
Union County High School- Maynardville, TN
Full Time Exempt Professional
Plans and coordinates Ayers Foundation program for students graduating from
participating High Schools in Tennessee. Counsel students and lead Ayers Foundation
Program where limited standardization might exist to accomplish mission and goals.
● Responsible for individual, group, and/or guardian counseling to prepare students
to enter and remain in the highest post- secondary education attainable.
● Communicate with financial aid officers to assure benefit in relationships.
● Coordinate group and/or individual college tours and visits
● Assist with finding financial aid, scholarships, and grants.
● Keep knowledge and database systems updated, including all unique and hard to
find tuition assistance.
● Track enrollment of all students in post-secondary school.
● Help students and families apply for financial aid annually.
● Manage budgets, seeking ways to reduce costs without affecting key services.
● Coordinate transcripts and college applications.
● Continue to communicate with students and post-secondary institutions to ensure
each student is successful.
● Meets in conjunction with the high school guidance counselor in conducting the
high school planning guide.
● Distribute and discuss The Ayers Scholars Program Model with the freshman
students and parents/guardians, attending Future Freshman Night/Orientation
● Meet every student and guardians at the beginning of Junior year of high school.
● Comply with all necessary financial aid deadlines
● Assist each student in applying for TN Promise during their Senior year.
● Conduct TN Promise mandatory meetings with each student as required.
● Track meetings to report to Tennessee Student Assistance Corporation.
● Assist students in completing community service for TN Promise as needed.
● Display exemplary team mindset while maintaining a high level of pride,
openness, and honesty in all aspects of work and accept personal responsibility
for actions and decisions.
● Ability to build professional relationships and appropriate rapport with different
types of personalities and backgrounds of students and/or guardians.
● Proactive attitude, ability to anticipate potential problem areas and take
preventative corrective action.
● Displays professionalism when dealing with stressful situations, and does not
allow emotions to interfere in carrying out work or interactions with others.
● Individuals must be able to perform exemplary under pressure and all types of
circumstances including but not limited to working in students’ homes, classroom
settings and institutions of higher education.
● Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram and
● Master’s degree or higher in Counseling
● 5 years of counseling experience preferred
● Ability to speak effectively before groups of students, parents/guardians, and
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential function.
● Sitting, standing, driving, lifting up to 15lbs, repetitive motion from computer use
● Ability to walk 1-3 miles for campus tours and visits
● Hearing/Speaking effectively as required for communication
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work
performed by people assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be an
exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified, and the
expectation is that the job holder will do whatever is needed to get the job done.
***It is the policy of The Ayers Foundation not to discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee, on the basis of age, color, sex, creed, disability, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, veteran status, or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.***