Retention Coach - Jackson State Lexington Campus
Full Time Exempt Professional
Plans, directs and coordinates college coaching initiatives and services at their assigned college.
● Responsible for providing services and building relationships with students enrolled in the Ayers college coaching initiatives with the aim of
maximizing each students’ postsecondary success
● Act as a liaison between various college administrative offices including financial aid, admissions, records, registrar, etc. in partnership with Ayers
Foundation Trust counselors
● Ensure students meet all applicable Tennessee Promise milestones and audit community service for assigned students
● Build relationships with students and staff at Ayers Scholars Program high schools to facilitate a smooth transition to the coach's assigned college.
● Assist students with accurate and timely information regarding financial aid, academics, graduation, and transfer requirements
● Integrate into the culture of the college to which they are assigned, fostering relationships with faculty, staff, and administration
● Connect students to appropriate on-campus resources to ensure retention and completion goals
● Provide data, reporting, and information as requested
● Develop the ability to anticipate potential problem areas and take preventative corrective action.
● Relay student-level data to Ayers college access counselors to increase
the number of students who enroll and succeed at the coach's assigned college. Data elements may include enrollment benchmarks, grade point averages, student accounts, etc.
● Other duties as assigned by Sr. Director of Postsecondary Success
● Exemplary team mindset while maintaining a high level of pride, openness, and honesty in all aspects of work.
● High accountability for actions and decisions.
● Superior relationship-building skills and ability to establish rapport with wide range of personalities and backgrounds.c
● Proactive attitude with ability to anticipate and diffuse problems.
● Effective stress management skills under pressure with ability to maintain professionalism and carry out work duties.
● Appropriate prioritization of urgent matters while managing multiple time- sensitive tasks.
● Bachelor’s degree or higher; minimum 2 years of relevant experience preferred
● Proficiency in computer skills including but not limited to: Microsoft, Google Enterprise, Salesforce, Banner and other platforms as needed
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Sitting, standing, driving, traveling, lifting up to 15lbs
● Ability to walk 1-3 miles for campus tours and visits if needed
● Hearing/Speaking effectively as required for communication
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified, and the expectation is that the job holder will do whatever is needed to get the job done.