Director of Accounting
Full Time Exempt Professional
Responsible for the oversight of all accounting, financials and reporting for the Ayers Foundation and all related entities. Position is responsible for tracking time allocation for responsibilities listed below for accurate grant reporting.
- Maintain and update Foundation accounting, financial and other policies and procedures as determined.
- Assist with payables approval and coding of invoices (position should not be authorized signer on any bank accounts to maintain proper controls and segregation of duties).
- Oversee accounting staff’s duties to include but not limited to: review of all bank/brokerage account reconciliations, balance sheet reconciliations, grant allocations, budget monitoring and grant bill backs.
- Leads Audit readiness, responsible for management of all audits and audit processes.
- Responsible for accurate time allocation tracking for various job duties to ensure proper grant recording
- Review fixed asset recording, reconciliation and depreciation calculations as maintained on Cherry Bekaert fixed asset software.
- Oversee payroll, grant allocations, benefit processing, general ledger posting and payroll accounts reconciliations.
- Review of service and other contracts, track renewals and work with the Executive Director as needed.
- Financial report oversight and / or preparation for management and Board of Directors (monthly reports and grant reports).
- Responsible for annual budgets to include grant budgets.
- Oversee/provide all information to tax accountants as needed for 990 annual filing, various state filings, etc.
- Prepare quarterly funding requests.
- Responsible for contributions and grants to entities as instructed and approved by management to include the Ayers Scholarships.
- Special ad hoc projects as requested by management.
- Display an exemplary team mindset while maintaining a high level of pride in work and accept responsibility for actions and decisions.
- Strong leadership qualities with ability to coordinate, motivate and lead initiatives.
- Demonstrates exemplary performance under pressure in all types of circumstances including public speaking engagements and Board presentations.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, adapting to multiple target audiences without being condescending when working with multiple audiences.
- Must possess the ability to lead and develop a team and to work collaboratively as a team member.
- Leadership and Management abilities to supervise staff.
- Ability to build trust among team and stakeholders.
- Consistently being a mission driven agent of change, comfortable in ambiguous situations.
- Role Model displaying calm, confident, confidential Leadership behavior
- Must have the flexibility to be able to travel around the state and beyond when necessary.
- Maintain a high level of pride in work and accept responsibility for actions and decisions.
- Develop the ability to anticipate potential problem areas and take preventative corrective action.
- Demonstrate openness and honesty in communications and interactions.
- Displays professionalism when dealing with stressful and/or uncomfortable situations.
- Does not allow emotions to interfere in carrying out work and interactions with others.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance, master’s degree preferred
- CPA license required.
- Non-Profit specialized knowledge of accounting/finance, grant compliance and audit preparation, general ledger/accounts payable/accounts receivable, budget set up and monitoring preferred.
- Proficient in various accounting software (general ledger, accounts payable, expense reimbursements), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Google Enterprise, and various payroll systems.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sitting, standing, driving, traveling, lifting up to 15lbs and repetitive motion from computer use
- Ability to walk 1-3 miles for campus tours and visits if needed
- Hearing/Speaking effectively as required for communication
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by people assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by the personnel so classified, and the expectation is that the job holder will do whatever is needed to get the job done.
***It is the policy of The Ayers Foundation not to discriminate against any applicant for employment, or any employee, on the basis of age, color, sex, creed, disability, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, veteran status, or any other category protected by state and/or federal civil rights laws.***